Monday, December 29, 2008

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

I know I am a little slow catching up on the blog but I didn't want to let Thanksgiving go by without mentioning it. This year we were able to celebrate the holiday with both families. The food is always great and it is nice to get together with the everyone. My family is almost too big to fit into a house when we are all together. So we met at the church the Saturday before the real day. I made three batches of rolls and a pumpkin pie. On Thanksgiving day, we celebrated at Jared's Grandma Donna's house. We had an enjoyable time.

We also had a Thanksgiving Family Home Evening at the Nursing Home. Our family was asked to do the program the Monday before Thanksgiving. I was so proud of the kids. They spoke up and didn't act nervous. They talked and shook hands with eveyone. It was fun to see them praying and leading the music. We made a Thankful tree and talked about how "bare" our lives are without gratitude. Then we dressed up the tree by adding leaves that listed the things that we were grateful for. Being at the nursing home really helped us to put things into perspective. The things that were listed over and over were family, health and the gospel.

We have so much to be Thankful for this season. With the economy being so unstable, I have been very nervous. But Jared has been blessed with a great job. I am still able to work from home part time. We are all healthy and happy. We have a nice home in a great community. The kids all love school and are doing well in that regard. We have a good family and great friends. I enjoy working with the Young Women at church. We really can't complain. So I decided I needed to turn the news off and enjoy the present. Worrying over the future really won't change much.

No comments: